It is the responsibility of the universities to establish which contracts are for teaching posts and which ones are not in their calls for applications. Teacher certification thereby becomes a requirement if the university so requires.
Teaching activity certification/appraisal is aimed at the teaching staff that have the accreditation of research and/or advanced research issued by AQU Catalunya according to Resolution UNI/1239/2004, of 26 April, and civil servant and non-civil servant academic and research staff at public universities in Catalonia according to Resolution UNI/3130/2005, of 28 October.
AQU Catalunya only accepted the applications submitted in person or through the Generic request of the procedures portal of the Generalitat de Catalunya.
A way of submitting applications to official registers, established under Law 30/1992, of 26 November, on the Legal Procedural System for Public Administration and Common Administrative Procedure (Official State Bulletin, 27 November 1992). Applications and documentation may be submitted via a post office. The post office official must give an official stamp to the two copies with the post office and date. One copy is retained by the applicant (receipt) and the other, together with the remaining documentation, is sent to AQU Catalunya by registered mail. The deadlines for submission at a post office are the same as those for the call for applications.
Notification of the results of applications for teaching activity certification and/or appraisal is made within a maximum period of six months from the time when an application is made. If no express notification is made within this time period, either certification is automatically granted or a favourable appraisal report issued.
Written applications must be sent to the chairperson of the AQU Specific Committee for Teaching and Management Activity.
Applicants will find themselves in one of the following states:
1. Academic staff at a Catalan university with an AQU Catalunya-accredited Teaching Assessment Manual (UB, UAB, UPC, UPF, UdG, UdL, URV) and a favourable report signed by the vice-chancellor in charge of academic staff
Those interested must request a favourable teaching activity appraisal report from the university where they are working. This favourable report must be signed by the vice-chancellor in charge of academic staff. This must be sent by the applicant, together with the application and corresponding documentation, to AQU Catalunya in order for positive certification to be issued. The favourable appraisal report/s of the candidate's teaching activity must be enclosed with the application in accordance with the assessment protocol (issued by the corresponding university or institution) and is to include at least:
- Details of the applicant's teaching experience and merits subject to assessment
- The period of time assessed
- Express reference to the procedure and criteria used for assessment
2. Other situations
Those interested must request a favourable teaching activity appraisal report in accordance with the AQU Catalunya protocol from the university where they are working. Applications must also include:
- A certified photocopy of the favourable appraisal report issued by an agency or institution other than AQU Catalunya, in accordance with the AQU Catalunya protocol
- A curriculum vitae in accordance with the AQU Catalunya model.
Specific mention must be made in applications where, for reasons considered to be acceptable by the Specific Committee for Teaching and Management Activity, a favourable teaching activities appraisal report cannot be presented. Applications must include a curriculum vitae in accordance with the AQU Catalunya model.
Appraisal protocols, to be filled in by the vice-chancellor in charge of academic staff:
There is no fee for the issue of teaching activity certifications and appraisal reports.
Criteria, procedure and results
- Whether proof of the information provided by the applicant being assessed has been submitted, which should include an overall review of the aspects of his/her teaching activity (self-report)
- Teaching experience, with an appraisal of first, second and third cycle university teaching, involvement in compulsory courses and the diversity of courses taught
- Performance as a teacher and fulfilment of duties associated with teaching
- Quality of teaching planning, relative to the design and adaptability of the teaching plan, together with the resources and teaching materials used
- Quality of development and performance as a member of university teaching staff, including training to be a teacher, involvement in competitive award innovation projects for teaching and transition European Area duties
- Satisfactory results of teaching activity
- Level of student and graduate satisfaction
- Involvement in promoting and assessing teaching quality
- External recognition of teaching quality.