Assessment of foreign institutions in Catalonia
Transnational teaching is one of the variants of the internationalisation of higher education, and assuring their quality is one of AQU Catalunya's functions.
In accordance with the Law on universities in Catalonia (LUC), the ministry responsible for universities is also responsible for the authorisation of teaching institutions that wish to offer courses leading to degrees awarded by foreign institutions that cannot be recognised as official degrees in Catalonia. One of the requirements of this process is a prior favourable report from AQU Catalunya.
AQU Catalunya has drawn up the Guide to the assessment of institutions offering foreign degree programmes in Catalonia. This methodology provides for two tools:
- A protocol to compile the documentary proof which, together with an on-site visit, should make it possible to determine the potential of the institution established in Catalonia to adequately deliver the training programme.
- A questionnaire aimed at analysing the position of the foreign institution awarding the diplomas. This questionnaire is designed to gather information that verifies its academic potential in the discipline and its internal and external quality assurance systems.
These two tools, together with a visit to the institution offering the programme, will provide the necessary information for the AQU Catalunya report, which is required in order to authorise the institution to offer the course.
Assessment of foreign institutions' programmes once authorised
In addition, as established by Royal Decree 420/2015, the authorised programmes and courses will be subject to assessment by ANECA or, where appropriate, by the external evaluation body of the autonomous community in the territory in which the centre is established. AQU Catalunya's Institutional and Programme Assessment Committee (CAIP) has drawn up an agreement establishing the basic lines for assessment:
- External assessment reports on degree programmes from foreign institutions produced by an agency registered with the EQAR will be accepted as valid.
- In the event that the degree programme has not obtained the assessment mentioned in the previous point, it will be accredited in accordance with the provisions of Royal Decree 1393/2007. In addition, this first accreditation will verify that the degree programmes:
- Are effectively implemented in the university or foreign higher education institution issuing the degree, certificate or diploma
- Have study programmes that correspond in structure, duration and content to those taught at the parent university or higher education institution abroad. This fact must be accredited by means of a certificate from the rector or by submitting a copy of the parent university's study programme with reference to subjects, curricular sequence and course load.
- Lead to the award of degrees, certificates or diplomas that have the same official academic validity in the country of origin and the same denomination as those issued by the parent university or higher education institution abroad for these studies.
The assessments carried out by AQU Catalunya shall be published on the EUC reports website and shall be communicated to the ministry responsible for universities.
External evaluation report (May 2015)
External evaluation report (May 2011)